[vlc-devel] patch to add support for audio gain in the transcode chain

Sergio M. Ammirata, Ph.D. sergio at ammirata.net
Wed Sep 5 18:08:10 CEST 2012

On 9/3/12 11:34 AM, "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

>Le samedi 1 septembre 2012 20:06:59, Sergio M. Ammirata, Ph.D. a écrit :
>> The following patch adds a new audio gain option to the transcode chain
>> called "again". With this new option you can increase or decrease the
>>audio
>> level during transcoding. It is percentage based, for example 100 will
>> leave the audio unchanged, 200 will double the  output and 50 will cut
>>in
>> in half.
>
>You really should not polute the common shared format structure with a
>gain
>field entirely internal to the transcode plugin.

The idea behind adding it to the common shared format structure is to make
it a property available to any filter. For example, the liba52
filter/decoder could also do scaling and when this filter is used in the
auto chain generation, it can advertise it's ability to also adjust gain,
thus saving the insertion of an additional filter, i.e. The gain filter,
in the chain.

>Also, I think a float value would be simpler here.

I can use either one.