[vlc-devel] Pause streaming from the source and buffering to compensate

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Tue Sep 25 21:46:40 CEST 2012

Remi,

Thank you for your reply. I just want to clarify a small detail. I am not seeking a zero latency solution.

My application is the streaming of a long sequence of mp4 files (playlist).

Playback is smooth as long as you let streamer alone (vlc also). As soon as you pause/unpause the stream on the streamer side, you will get a 4-5 seconds playback freeze at the beginning of every video clip. This is the problem. If you reread my original post, what it is, it is my analysis of why this is happening. It should be very easy to reproduce with 2.0.3

It occurs in src/input/es_out.c in the switch case for

        case ES_OUT_SET_PCR:
        case ES_OUT_SET_GROUP_PCR:

It is fixed in my app as I have commented most of that block (of course this has led to other problems which had made me butcher some more vlc making my solution not friendly to the vlc general audience).

To me having video playback freezing for more then 15% of the time is unacceptable. Feel free to disagree. I wanted to attract your attention to the issue. I am glad to see that feedback user is appreciated.

Greetings,
Olivier