[vlc-devel] Forwarding Gentoo patches.

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Tue Apr 2 12:19:45 CEST 2013

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:28:41 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:20:11 +0200, Alexis Ballier
> <aballier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:03:59 +0200
> > Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> [check_headers_regexp.diff  text/x-patch (709 bytes)]
> >
> > I had sent this one back then but it was rejected for reasons I
> > didn't agree with and no other solution landed.
>
> To be honest, I don't understand what/how this patch solves anything.
> What's the difference between [:upper:] and A-Z, other maybe than
> locale support (which is _not_ wanted in this case)?

If you force LC_* to C then there is indeed no difference, but this is
not the case here. I test packages against the environment they will
run on, so when vlc is built, it is build with LC_* set to what I use.
In many cases it happens that collating is 'aAbB..zZ' so that [A-Z]*
matches 'const'.
AFAIK headers are supposed to be ascii, so what's the difference
between LC_COLLATE=C A-Z and :upper: ? I prefer using the semantical
regexp rather than forcing C collating. Either way, there is something
to fix here since 'make check' is broken with some locales.

> > I never understood why
> > this check is in the 'check' target and not 'distcheck' by the way.
>
> Code test suite belongs in check, not distcheck.

Except this is not code but headers from the tarball that, AFAIK, are
not generated. These will not change at all after 'dist', making it a
perfect candidate for distcheck.

Alexis.