[vlc-devel] Forwarding Gentoo patches.

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Tue Apr 2 14:05:03 CEST 2013

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 13:12:09 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> >> Code test suite belongs in check, not distcheck.
> >
> > Except this is not code but headers from the tarball that, AFAIK,
> > are not generated. These will not change at all after 'dist',
> > making it a perfect candidate for distcheck.
>
> Headers is code,

yes, I should have written something along those lines: the check is
not testing compiled code but is a static check on distributed code.

> and code is checked with check. distcheck checks the
> build system, not the code.

distcheck, as the name implies, checks the distributed files. build
system is only the usual culprit.

> Personally, I use check to test my changes on git, not distcheck
> (unless it's hard-core Makefile stuff).

this is a sensible reason though (considering all what distcheck does),
but then the patch is all about making the test more robust to 'hostile'
environments where 'check' is ran.

Alexis.