[vlc-devel] problem trying to use vda acceleration on a mac - VDA requires extradata.

Peter Martin peter.martin at tripleplay-services.com
Tue Aug 6 18:10:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm testing both the latest 2.1 nightly and 2.2 nightly on a mac and I
have started seeing this message when run with --avcodec-hw=vda:

[0x7fdc738348b0] avcodec decoder debug: available hardware decoder
output format 61 (dxva2_vld)
[0x7fdc738348b0] avcodec decoder debug: available hardware decoder
output format 53 (vaapi_vld)
[0x7fdc738348b0] avcodec decoder debug: available hardware decoder
output format 81 (vda_vld)
[0x7fdc738348b0] avcodec decoder debug: available software decoder
output format 0 (yuv420p)
[0x7fdc7217cae0] main generic debug: looking for hw decoder module
matching "vda": 1 candidates
[0x7fdc7217cae0] vda generic debug: opening VDA module
[0x7fdc7217cae0] vda generic warning: VDA requires extradata.
[0x7fdc7217cae0] main generic debug: no hw decoder modules matched

This is using a multicast udp transport stream with an hd bbc feed which
is an h.264 1080i stream

This happens on several versions including those from 5th August and
building from source using the 2.1.git and trunk vlc.git.

Is this a known problem or maybe a regression?
Have I missed something important?
Has vda ever actually worked?

I do recall, but can't nail the date down when the vda module complained
about not enough extradata - I think it fund 6 but expected 7. Sorry I
don't have any notes on this.

Macbook air 13 inch mid 2011
Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5

Regards