[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] src: Fix for Mac OS X filesystem filename encoding

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 22 17:01:11 CEST 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:40:54 +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson"
<sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>> What is your excuse for overreacting to everything with verbal abuse?
>> This is not verbal abuse.
> Others certainly perceive it as such.

Not my problem. I have had more than enough of being blamed for negative
reviews and pointing out problems. It is intolerable that I get blamed for
the cowardly or lazy silence of the rest. If you think the tone is
inappropriate, maybe you should ponder why does it always have to be me
doing the complaining? Maybe then you'd realize just how frustrating this
is to *me*.

The honesty of code review process and the mailing list discussion is more
important than the subjective perception of a few. That is key to healthy
open-source projects (the real ones, not the ones driven by a single
organization). A review cannot always be positive. *If* you would prefer
rubber stamping by yes men over honest review, I suggest you leave now and
consider sticking to traditional corporate environments.

>>> Are you trying to get kicked off the project by pissing off other
>>> people?
>> Seriously, what the hell?
>
> A more realistic outcome would probably be scaring prospective
contributors
> away from the project.

As a matter of fact, committing crap demotivates the other scarce existing
developers, and the scarcer reviewers. It always attracts prospective
contributors and users away to alternative projects with better practices.
And I do not need to mention that it sets a pretty bad example for any
remaining prospective contributor.

Of course just about every new committer has done some crap when starting.
But this is the contributor with the longest history among all active ones.
That does not add up. I do not care that MacOS developers have code of
questionable quality in the MacOS plugins for lack of care or time, so I
just let it slide. But if they want to contribute to the rest of the code
base, then they do need to bother. Similarly, if they push other people's
patches (as was the case here), they need to review it properly.

It is not Rafaël, JB, Laurent, my or anyone else's duty to do so.

Sent from my collocated server