[vlc-devel] VLC 2.1.0 Release Candidate 1
jb at videolan.org
Wed Aug 28 11:50:25 CEST 2013
Dear VideoLAN community,
I'm pleased to announce, from the VLC development team, the first
release candidate of VLC media player 2.1.0, named RinceWind.
This is a major version, totally more than 7000 commits, improving a lot
most parts of VLC and fixing the important issues of the 2.0.x branch
- Port of the VLC engine to Mobile OS, including Android, iOS (again), WinRT.
This denotes new audio and video outputs, OpenGL ES improvements,
including shaders; but also work on the hardware decoding for mobile.
- A new audio core, including rewrite of most audio output modules.
This improves the stability, reactivity (no more volume change lag),
volume control (logarithmic), performance, precision (up to 384kHz).
- An important work on correct playback of new formats and old non-standard
files, fixing most of the small regressions on rare formats that
we've seen in the 2.0.x branch.
New codecs have been added, including G2M4, MSS1/2, SCTE-27, Real
Lossless or Ulead DV Audio
- New protocols and input support have been added like Smooth Streaming,
improved MPEG-DASH, improved Blu-Ray; but also a new VNC support
and an AVCapture module for OSX.
- Hardware decoders (Mac OS X, Android) and encoders (Intel QuickSync
Video) were also added in this release, to focus on performance.
- The OS X interface has seen a lot of polishing and fixes, which
finishes the work started in 2.0.0 to renew the interface.
- For developers, libVLC and most libVLC modules are now licensed under
the LGPL, a copyleft license that should allow more flexibility for
- For web developers, the webplugin has been partially rewritten and
now support windowless, allowing CSS transform like 3D and overlaying
objects above the video, like Flash does.
- Many other issues fixed that I forget about.
You can get it now:
Please test it and file bugreports,
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734
Sent from my Electronic Device
More information about the vlc-devel