[vlc-devel] MPEG-DASH and the likes

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Thu Aug 29 09:50:51 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:59:40PM +0200, Frédéric Yhuel wrote:
> Hello,

> It has been some time (more than a year) since someone did a
> meaningful patch on MPEG-DASH client module.

> Only HLS seems to be of some interest to the world, at least enough to
> motivate some developers to work on it.

HLS seems to be most common from those to be supported. I think that
even Miscrosoft is starting to fade smooth streaming in favor of
mpeg-dash.

> But before I do, I'd like to know if it is worthwhile doing so. Smooth
> Streaming doesn't seem to be used much in a DRM-free context, but
> maybe I'm wrong. And what do you think of MPEG-DASH? Is it going to
> take off? Is there a point for VLC users?

MPEG-DASH seems to be the way that W3C talks about for example
EME-draft¹ (from Google/Microsoft/Netflix). And Netflix has been quite
vocal on their use of MPEG-DASH.

But most likely MPEG-DASH will also mostly be used on non DRM-free
context. But between MPEG-DASH and Smooth Streaming I would choose
MPEG-DASH.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
I am a jelly donut.  I am a jelly donut.