[vlc-devel] Patch to "modules/access/live555.cpp" to fix the recently-discovered RTSP subtitle track problem

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Mon Dec 16 07:54:59 CET 2013

On 12/16/2013 06:22 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> Recently Gilles Chanteperdrix reported (on the wrong VLC mailing list
> :-) that attempting to enable a subtitle track in a RTSP stream would
> cause VLC (version 2.1) to halt the stream.

An URL allowing to reproduce the problem is:
rtsp://xenomai.org:8554/video-tests/hd-fast.mp4

The stream start playing normally, but when selecting a sub-title track,
vlc stops.

The second issue, more serious I believe, I observed with vlc 2.1, is
that it somehow does not like the RTP jitter even though the RTP packets
are timestamped.

It is visible with the following URL:
rtsp://xenomai.org:8554/video-tests/hd-slow.mp4

where if you enable the logs you will see that vlc is throwing away a
lot of frames, despite the fact that their jitter is inferior to the
jitter buffer time. You can compare with the http stream:
http://xenomai.org/video-tests/hd-slow.mp4
To see the difference. The RTP stream is OK from my point of view, vlc
2.0 plays it better, and ffmpeg plays it perfectly.

I have put various test streams, which can be viewed at the following place:
http://www.xenomai.org/video-tests
The rtsp urls are the same as http, but for the protocol and the port
number (8554 for rtsp). Using the above http URL, you can start the rtsp
stream by clicking on "rtsp stream" in the "Description column".

Regards.

--
                                                                Gilles.