[vlc-devel] Bounty tasks details request

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 15:10:43 CET 2013

2013/12/21 Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org>:
> but what I have noticed is that the client
> behind NAT sends UDP packets before starting playback on the server in
> order to "open" the NAT

May be packets to STUN server.
I wonder how could you capture them and change your server behaviour
based on them, as your media server mustn't be the party of STUN
communication session.

> I also spent some time on streaming from a machine behind NAT

This is important issue for VoIP, but not that real issue for media
streaming server IMO. But still, TCP interleaving of RTP would work
well if RTSP server is behind NAT and only a single port (of RTSP
listening, like 554) is forwarded on external router.

Again - the real life scenario seems to me the one where streaming
server is public host, and clients may be behind NAT. Streaming server
cannot sort out the problems of bad NAT (it can only send packets to
IP and port given by client), that is possible to sort out on client
side only, and depends on NAT type after all.

--
Andrey Utkin