[vlc-devel] Bring back freebox SD

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Dec 23 19:45:46 CET 2013

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013, 13:16:13 Felix Paul Kühne a écrit :
> So, we are blocking and VLC takes quite a big longer to launch as it waits
> for the connection to the freebox to time-out:
>
> [00007f953bcf8980] http access debug: http: server='mafreebox.freebox.fr'
> port=80 file='/freeboxtv/playlist.m3u' [00007f953bcf8980] core access
> debug: net: connecting to mafreebox.freebox.fr port 80 [00007f953bcf8980]
> core access warning: connection timed out

Yeah. Because the IP address is not reachable, this will typically wait for
the full TCP connection timeout as coded in VLC (the default one would be much
worst yet). This can easily be reproduced with:

$ wget http://mafreebox.freebox.fr/freeboxtv/playlist.m3u

And you're lucky that your DNS is fast to resolve; that's not the case for
everyone and can add another 30 seconds of wait... I've (had to) use networks
with flaky DNS.

AFAICT, waiting for network I/O in start-up or in UI loop is not simply
acceptable and that is all. Even if it can be fast in most cases, there are
always too many slow or failure cases.

http://www.remlab.net/