[vlc-devel] live555: default video frame size

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Dec 28 15:20:51 CET 2013

Le mardi 17 décembre 2013, 02:09:46 Gilles Chanteperdrix a écrit :
> the default video frame size, when receiving a video through RTSP using
> the live555 module, is a fixed constant set to 100KB, which can be set
> to another constant value, using vlc menus. But we can do better than
> that: select a size which is proportional to the image size, this avoids
> displaying corrupted HD videos before the buffer size is automatically
> doubled a few times.

TBH, I don't really see why you need to know that. The only data size you
should ever need to guess when receiving RT(S)P is that of the largest
possible RTP packet.

Video frames should be fragmented. In my understanding, the packetizer or the
decoder is responsible for reassembling full frames if the codec requires it.

http://www.remlab.net/