[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vlc_strerror() and vlc_strerror_c() convenience wrappers

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Dec 30 10:59:11 CET 2013

Le dimanche 29 décembre 2013, 23:23:25 Rafaël Carré a écrit :
> On 12/29/13 15:16, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Sat Dec 28
> > 17:56:22 2013 +0200| [a37d20ccf6584fdd3d73b779ed4632ee7231e4f3] |
> > committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
> >
> > vlc_strerror() and vlc_strerror_c() convenience wrappers
> >
> > Those are more flexible than the GNU-specific %m format specifier to
> > print standard error messages.
>
> How so?

You know how C format strings work and you already know the answer to your
question. I am not going to waste my time writing ever more detailed commit
logs for someone who has insulted me for daring to review his code and is
really only trying to make a point and/or picking a verbal fight.

Besides, looking at the two weeks history, this commit log is far more
detailed than average already, especially factoring the relative simplicity
and brievity of the patch (code comments aside).

> > They are also less likely to format a
> > clobbered error number.
>
> How did that happen?

Similarly you probably know how errno works, and in the unlikely event that
you honestly did not, there is plenty of reference documentation for you.

> This patch series also silently breaks darwin.

Fixing non-standard platforms is up to the (defacto) maintainers of said
platforms, be it Darwin, OS/2 or Android in this case. Nothing new here. You
know that; you are only being argumentative for the sake of pissing me off.

http://www.remlab.net/