[vlc-devel] Feature suggestion

zemanm17 at fel.cvut.cz zemanm17 at fel.cvut.cz
Fri Feb 22 17:11:12 CET 2013

I was also thinking:
When the video is paused and you shift the subtitles using hotkeys, the changes get displayed after the
video is unpaused again. So maybe I could make it refresh while paused as well. That way you can pause
the video just at the beginning of a sentence and conviniently align the subtitles.

Please let me know what you think of either of my suggestions.

Thanks

>Hi,
>
>Le jeudi 21 février 2013 à 04:02:09, zemanm17 at fel.cvut.cz a écrit :
>> I have a small idea for a GUI improvement. I don't particularly like the GUI that takes care of shifting subtitles that are
>> out of sync. I find it consufing from a user's standpoint and sometimes struggle with it myself. My suggestion is a
>> simple visualisation which would make it clear which is ahead (video or subtitles).
>>

>I don't understand your problem. If the GUI doesn't offer the
>possibility to shift the subtitles to the user how should it be done?

The GUI does offer the functionality. There is a spinner called "synchronization of subtitles" that allows you to
specify the time. This site explains how to use it

http://pctonic.net/sync-subtitles-with-the-video-in-vlc

However, it seems unclear to me at the first glance whether I should be entering a positive or a negative value.
It doesn't take long to figure out, but making this more obvious might improve user-friendliness.

>What do you call "visualisation"? When you play your video and you have
>unsynced subtitles, it's pretty obvious which one is ahead.

I was thinking a radio button with two options

1) Subtitles ahead
2) Video ahead

Then you can only use positive values in the spinner to define the absolute value of the timing difference.

Hope that clears it.