[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Add support for rendering EIA-608 captions with a black background

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Jan 11 03:03:28 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> On 10 Jan, Devin Heitmueller wrote :
>> Add support for rendering EIA-608 captions with a black background
>
> Why not inherit the opacity value? I don't get it.

The reason for not reusing the Freetype opacity value is the default
does not match expectations of EIA-608 caption users.

Users of EIA-608 closed captions expect the opacity to be 100%.
That's how it works with all televisions and other applications that
conform to the FCC specification.  Unless the thinking is to change
the Freetype default to 255, the opacity need to not be dictated by
the default Freetype configuration value.

I'm not against exposing a separate control that let's the user change
away from the default of 100%, but the default needs to be 100%.

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com