[vlc-devel] LGPL

KO Myung-Hun komh78 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:09:47 CET 2013

Hi/2.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> vlc | branch: master | Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> | Tue Nov  6 17:48:33 2012 +0100| [d0f40322e7ac70010b26c76feec9cffeec30cc3d] | committer: Jean-Baptiste Kempf
>
> LGPL
>
> Re-license almost all the playback modules to LGPLv2.1+ with
> authorization from their respective contributors (230+)
>
> This includes:
>  - access, codec, packetizers, demux
>  - audio filters, audio mixers, audio output
>  - video filters, video chroma, video output
>  - text renderers
>  - XML parser
>  - ARM NEON and SSE2 optimisations (mostly for chromas and filters)
>
> Some modules are not concerned:
>  - BDA and DShow access modules because Manol Manolov is AWOL
>  - Real RTSP, because it is derived from Xine
>  - x264 and t140 because they are encoders only
>  - DLL Loader, because it is derived from MPlayer
>  - DTS packetizer, because Jon Lech Johansen is AWOL
>  - Shine and WMAfixed, because they are derived from Rockbox
>  - Real demuxer, as it is derived from MPlayer and Wang Bo is AWOL
>  - MPC demuxer, as Yavor Doganov is AWOL
>  - Tivo demuxer, because it is derived from an MPlayer fork
>  - Playlist demuxer, (WPL and ZPL parts missing), because suheaven is AWOL
>  - iOS audio output and video display, because author refuses the license change
>  - Equalizer and compressor, because Ronald Wright is AWOL
>  - Mono, Headphone and Dolby, because author refuses the license change
>  - gradfun, hqdn3d and yadif, because they are from MPlayer/libavfilter
>  - remoteosd, because it derives from RealVNC code
>  - MMX optimisations, because Ollie Lho, from SiS, is AWOL
>
> Nota Bene:
>  - Some modules depend on GPL-only libraries, a LGPL module does not mean
>    that the resulting binary module will be LGPL.
>    Libraries affected would include liba52, libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread,
>    faad2, libdca, libmad, libmpeg2, libpostproc, SRC, sid, zvbi and probably others.
>
>> http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc.git/?a=commit;h=d0f40322e7ac70010b26c76feec9cffeec30cc3d
> ---

[...]
>  modules/audio_output/kai.c                         |   18 +-
[...]
>  modules/video_output/kva.c                         |   18 +-

I'm sorry that I've now noticed that kai.c and kva.c were re-licensed to
LGPL.

BTW, I didn't agree with this re-licensing for kai.c and kva.c.

In fact, kai.c and kva.c are using GPL library.

I don't think LGPL is compatible with GPL.

If it's compatible, I have no objections, else revert it please.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.7.2
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
In VirtualBox v4.1.22 on Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.30GHz with 8GB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr