[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] src: fix crash in getaddrinfo due to bugs in the OSX runtime

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 20:08:38 CEST 2013

On 04.07.2013, at 19:56, "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> It does not make sense to connect to TCP port zero in the first place. This
> looks like a bug in the realrtsp plugin. Leave the network stack out of this.
>
> This is software *engineering*, not palliative care. In software engineering,
> you fix the problems rather than avoid the symptoms.

Point taken :D

Does it make sense to connect to any port zero in the first place? I guess: "NO!", right, since it is a restricted port? :-)

Affected modules are (endpoint is always vlc_getaddrinfo):
- RTP Access (Open > net_OpenDgram)
- UDP Access (idem)
- RealRTSP Access (Open > rtsp_connect > RtspConnect > net_Connect)
- UDP Access Output (Open > net_ConnectDgram)

This non-exaustive list is based upon the collected crash logs. I guess, this issue is trigger-able through any network access or streamout module. So, to me, a correct fix would be the addition of proper bounds checking in each of the modules, no? If yes, I can easily do this..

Best regards,

Felix