[vlc-devel] VDPAU output with OSS driver

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 15 23:20:11 CEST 2013

On Monday 15 July 2013 15:00:24 Android Jack wrote:
> In particular, the error:
> [0xb5e0cb00] vdpau_display vout display error: source video YCbCr format
> not supported
>
> seems to suggest that my card cannot handle my video colorspace (it's
> I420/YV12), which in fact doesn't show up in vdpauinfo as well ... but
> then, why mplayer can play the same video with the same card throught VDPAU
> without any hiccups ? Where I'm missing something ?

VLC could render with VDPAU on your card, but it would require software
conversion from I420 to NV12. You are better off using XVideo than VDPAU then.
The only benefit of VDPAU would be finely scaled OSD, at the expense of
performance in this case.

In fact, it would work just fine like normal if you had not needlessly forced
VDPAU as video output in your preferences. If you want to accelerate video
*decoding*, there is dedicated option for that.

http://www.remlab.net/