[vlc-devel] How to report errors on screen from a stream filter?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 21:14:23 CEST 2013

Folks,

In our scenario, videos files are stored in a database. I have written a stream filter to fetch the data from the database as required. The whole mechanism works as expected.

VLC engine sends Peek/Read/Seek requests to my stream filter and I do the needful. However, occasionally there are problems while fetching data. When this happens, I simply log the error to a file and return -1 to the VLC engine. This results in weird VLC errors such as "undefined codec," etc.

Ideally, I would like to report the error on the user screen. However, being just a back-end stream filter, I cannot really do anything on the front end.

I am wondering if there is a better way to report errors.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter