[vlc-devel] Project: Video Barcodes for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 5 13:34:33 CET 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 07:30:14 -0500, Edward Wang
<edward.c.wang at compdigitec.com> wrote:
> On 13-03-05 07:28 AM, Francois Cartegnie <fcvlcdev at free.fr> wrote:
>> We also already fetch art and metadata from remote servers. Being able
>> to share timelines/thumnails strips with a mb like server would be
nice.
> Automatically sharing the contents of whatever videos I watch sounds
> like it might have privacy implications.

To be fair, this was about FETCHING automatically, not SUBMITTING
automatically.

But I don't see any way to do that. We need to match the exact same file,
otherwise the time lines could be too far off. And then, hashing the whole
file would be too slow for large videos. So in practice, I think embedded
or attached metadata storage is the only practical solution.

Sent from my collocated server