[vlc-devel] git submodules & distribute in Python bindings pull request

Dražen Lučanin drazen.lucanin at gmail.com
Thu May 16 00:31:43 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I was just playing around with the source code and I did some changes to
make deploying things a bit easier. The first change [1] is just to add a
distribute drop-in (docs [2]) for the Python bindings that modernizes the
package a bit, allowing people to easily start hacking by entering

    python setup.py develop

The other, maybe a bit controversial, change [3] is that I added a git
submodule [4] to the main VLC repo (for now only for python-bindings) so
that one can grab the whole thing from your single git url git://
git.videolan.org/vlc.git and get (all) the submodule(s) with

    git submodule init
    git submodule update

without going through the subfolders, searching for the other repo urls on
the website etc. I don't know what's your opinion on submodules, but they
seem to fit your use-case of one big project separated into multiple repos.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think of the changes, would you be
interested in merging something like that and if there is something you
would like me to improve.

Cheers,
Dražen Lučanin
http://kermit.epska.org/