[vlc-devel] Earlier frame displayed despite start-time option?

Jérôme Forissier jerome at taodyne.com
Thu May 16 19:42:04 CEST 2013

Hello,

I have observed a suspicious behavior with the start-time option (I think).

I call libvlc_media_add_option to add "start-time X", before starting playback (libvlc_media_player_set_media and libvlc_media_player_play).
Unexpectedly, my displayFrame callback receives a frame that obviously belongs to the beginning of the video before it gets the video from the requested offset. This frame is typically displayed for a short duration (a fraction of a second), but it can be longer depending on the video file. I guess this is the time it takes to seek to the requested frame. In any case this is always noticeable.

This can be reproduced with the command line, for instance :
  /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC test.mp4 --start-time=20.5
(using VLC 2.0.6 on MacOSX 10.6.8)

Looks like a bug to me. What do you think?
Any suggestion for a fix or a workaround?

Thanks,

--
Jerome