[vlc-devel] git submodules & distribute in Python bindings pull request

Dražen Lučanin drazen.lucanin at gmail.com
Thu May 16 23:13:56 CEST 2013

> On 16 May, Dra?en Lu?anin wrote :
> > The other, maybe a bit controversial, change [3] is that I added a git
> > submodule [4] to the main VLC repo (for now only for python-bindings) so
> > that one can grab the whole thing from your single git url git://
> > git.videolan.org/vlc.git and get (all) the submodule(s) with
> >
> >     git submodule init
> >     git submodule update
>
> Is submodule still shitty in git or?
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Don't know if something has changed recently - I'm relatively new to git.

One potential caveat I see is that the superproject tracks its submodules
at a certain commit, so you have to update the .gitmodules file every time
you want your main project to pull in newer submodule repos. This seems
like it might be good in some scenarios, though - if you have some tags and
branches for older versions you can couple them with the corresponding
submodule versions.

Regards,
Dražen