[vlc-devel] git submodules & distribute in Python

Dražen Lučanin drazen.lucanin at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:13:11 CEST 2013

> Hello
>
> Thanks for your contribution. I integrated the distribute part in the
> bindings tree. The git submodule issue is another aspect for which I do
> not have any strong opinion, for or against it. The current setup works
> fine, but can indeed be less discoverable. It could be solved through
> submodules, or through better documentation (that the submodule use
> would also require anyway).
>
> Regards,
> Olivier

Great, thanks for merging, Olivier!

Regarding submodules, it seems that it was improved very recently, actually
- tracking branch tips as submodules was added in the latest stable version
1.8.2 (available through brew on OS X, but the latest stable Ubuntu still
packages 1.8.1 [1]). It probably needs some more time to mature. Quick
instructions on how to track submodules as branches instead of specific
commits are explained in [2].

But anyway, after playing with submodules for a while, it does actually
seem rather clumsy - even after setting everything up to use the master
branch in [3], it's complaining about the other folders under bindings/
(which I didn't even touch) when I do a `git submodule update`

    No submodule mapping found in .gitmodules for path 'bindings/jvlc'

Regards,
Dražen

[1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/git
[2]: http://www.vogella.com/articles/Git/article.html#submodules_trackbranch