[vlc-devel] howto reduce latency

mdrslmr mdrslmr at online.de
Sat Nov 2 11:43:22 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm using vlc/vlm as streaming server. Vlc/vlm introduces
some latency of approximately 1 to 1.5 seconds. Do you
have a hint how to reduce this latency?

In more detail:
I have several IP cameras and one decoder with an attached monitor.
A java application controls which of the IP cameras
is displayed via the decoder. Vlc/vlm provides the software API
actually controlling the streams via "--intf rc". The command line
looks like this:

vlc -I dummy --intf rc --extraintf telnet --sout-keep --network-caching 50 --live-caching 0 --no-audio --no-sout-audio

The decoder always gets the stream from vlc. The camera streamed by vlc
is selected by the java application by issuing e.g. "control canera1 play"
via the rc interface.

The attached file is similar to the configuration I use.

Any ideas on how to reduce the latency or other improvements?

For comparison: when bypassing vlc and linking a IP camera to the decoder by
some static configuration the latency almost not noticeable.