[vlc-devel] I would like to localize VLC in Kinyarwanda

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Tue Nov 5 10:48:34 CET 2013

Hello!

Am 04.11.2013 22:22, schrieb Emmanuel Habumuremyi:
> I would like to contribute my time to localize VLC in Kinyarwanda, a Bantu
> language spoken in Rwanda, DRC, Southern Uganda and Western Tanzania.
> Please sent me the file to localize: French or English work for me as
> Source language.

You can find the .pot file to translate here:

http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob_plain;f=po/vlc.pot

Save it as vlc.pot. You can find instructions on how to translate here:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/vlc-howto.html

Use the software poEdit to edit the .pot file. You can find poEdit here:
http://www.poedit.net/

Save your modified file with all translations as rw.po (rw is the
language code for Kinyarwanda), and then send it to me (don't send large
attachments to mailing lists).

Simpler alternative:
I could also offer you the choice of using transifex. You would have to
create an account there and request the creation of a Kinyarwanda team
here (only if you _want_ to use transifex):

https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/vlc-trans/

Some hints for that:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/transifex-howto.html

When using the transifex you could have the French texts displayed as
well as the English ones, or both if I remember correctly.

There also exists a mailing list dedicated to translation:
translators at videolan.org

Regards,

Christoph