[vlc-devel] Matroska, libopus and loophole in the spec

Denis Charmet typx at dinauz.org
Fri Nov 8 09:45:46 CET 2013

Hi,

Le jeudi 07 novembre 2013 à 10:05:34, Timothy B. Terriberry a écrit :
> The spec for the demuxer API? I'm confused. What do you think needs
> to be made mandatory where?

Default duration or the block duration.

> Well, the duration of a packet can be determined from the packet
> itself. I'm just saying it makes sense for the demuxer to look at
> the packet and figure out what it is.

Imho, if the information is in the encoded packet then it depends on the
codec, if the information comes from the container then it shall be
added by the demux. Naturally if the container gives me the duration I
will put it in the block, but if there isn't any what bothers you in the
fact it's handled by the codec? Seriously I'm reluctant to have to link
the demux to libopus just for that.

> >Seek preroll and end trimming will be handled at the demux level
> >provided for the latter that we have a duration to reduce.
> Unless the packet is not a valid Opus audio packet, it will always
> have a duration.

Not necessarily known at the demux level using the demux formalism.
Which is my issue.

Regards,

--
Denis Charmet - TypX