[vlc-devel] uncertain: whether to develop plugin for a custom codec.

BGB cr88192 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 09:32:35 CEST 2013

On 10/18/2013 4:02 PM, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 18/10/2013 10:53, BGB a écrit :
>> my use-case I suspect is a little non-standard, so I may try to explain
>> what it is I am doing here, as to why I would want to write a codec
>> plugin for VLC (and not just use standard codecs).
> It seems you are modifying existing codecs so I would guess the best way
> for you to play your videos in VLC would be to modify the existing
> decoders in libavcodec and use your own libavcodec build with VLC.

status update: general success.

it was built as an out-of-tree plugin, and it worked on the first run
(this was more than expected, usually these sorts of things require a
bit more beating/debugging before they work).

seems to be the correct video, and the FOURCC is the one for my codec,
so, yeah, by all evidence it is working.

minor comments:
some of the headers contain things which are not particularly friendly
to Visual Studio / MSVC (*1), in particular things like some of the
static functions within headers declaring variables within the
executable part of the function body (as opposed to declaring all
variables at the top, prior to any executable statements), as well as
the use of the 'inline' keyword.

the most notable offenders here were in
"sdk/include/vlc/plugins/vlc_arrays.h", but there were several other cases.

*1: I used MSVC as this is what I was otherwise already building with.

thanks anyways.