[vlc-devel] uncertain: whether to develop plugin for a custom codec.

BGB cr88192 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 18:14:16 CEST 2013

On 10/19/2013 4:49 AM, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> Le 19/10/2013 11:31, Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
>> On 19 Oct, BGB wrote :
>>> minor comments:
>>> some of the headers contain things which are not particularly friendly to
>>> Visual Studio / MSVC (*1), in particular things like some of the static
>>> functions within headers declaring variables within the executable part of
>>> the function body (as opposed to declaring all variables at the top, prior
>>> to any executable statements), as well as the use of the 'inline' keyword.
>> Not our problem.
>> Use a better compiler.

just figured it might be worth noting in a "if you want to let people
use whatever compiler they want" type sense.

> That's true, you should use gcc, make sure you have read
> https://wiki.videolan.org/Win32Compile
>
> For rebuilding one module the process goes like this:
>
> cd vlc/contrib/win32/ffmpeg
> ### patch
> make install
> # now your new static libavcodec.a is installed in
> vlc/contrib/i686-w64-mingw32
> cd vlc/build/modules
> make libavcodec_plugin.la
> # now your new vlc avcodec plugin dll is in .libs/libavcodec_plugin.dll
> # copy that dll in your install folder inside plugins/codec and you're
> good to go

I got it to work, at least, mostly just ended up fudging the headers
slightly to make them work with MSVC.

it was either this or going and building my codec library with MinGW,
and I chose the path of less effort in this case.

but, yeah, if I were to make this more publicly available (in a
standalone form), I would probably need to reorganize some stuff here,
and might more consider moving it over to MinGW or similar.

if anyone is interested, here is some info on the design of the codecs
in question.
here is the newer one (note, both spec and the implemented format are
not fully complete yet):
http://cr88192.dyndns.org:8080/wiki/index.php/BTIC1D
as well as its direct predecessor:
http://cr88192.dyndns.org:8080/wiki/index.php/BTIC1C

thus far I had tried to use MinGW for a full from-source rebuild of VLC,
but hadn't had as much success with this, but could look into it more if
needed.

>> And you know, VS2013 is out with C99 support.
> yeah, "support" :)

I am actually using VS2013 over here, but not sure if there is a special
option or something required to enable the C99 features, hadn't really
looked into it.