[vlc-devel] Patch/request for comment and testing - constructing the upNp playlist

Chris Clayton chris2553 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 20:46:44 CEST 2013

On 10/22/13 18:29 Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote

[snip]

>> Well, I was thinking of allowing the user to pass the friendly names of
>> servers for which no playlist was being constructed to vlc as arguments.
>> For those devices, MediaServer::ParseDeviceDescription() would make the
>> call to ->fetchContents(). I accept that's just a "better hack" rather
>> than the elegant solution you have in mind.
>>

> This is never going to work in Real Life. Seriously.

It works in my real life, so you can take the patch or leave it, I really don't care. I now have a vlc that constructs
initial playlists only once for each of the media servers I have access to, except the "nearby devices" function on my
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone which for which neither the patched or unpatched vlc-2.1.0 constructs a playlist.

I must say that of the three replies I have had on this subject, two have been unconstructive, tending towards hostile.
So, vlc has a bug in constructing playlists for all but one the media servers I have access to. I have analysed and
described the bug (which causes playlists to be constructed twice on some servers) and Mirsal agrees with my analysis.
Over to you. In the longer term, I was going to look into how Mirsal's solution might be implemented but with the
attitude I've experienced, I'm not going to bother. I have plenty of other things to do.