[vlc-devel] Research enquiry by the University of Bolton UK

Konrad Iturbe mail at chernowii.com
Sat Oct 26 08:32:49 CEST 2013

Hello Alex.
If you subscribe to the mail list, read our wiki and submit your patches, you are contributing.

How did you become involved in the development of VLC?
As described above.

Why was VLC developed as an open source project?
So users can develop vlc and solve the bugs.

How has open source benefited the development of VLC?
Because thanks to the users like you and me, vlc is being developed.

What problems have persisted with VLC development?
The port's restrictions, for example.

Apart from donations from the public how is the development of  VLC funded?
We want people to develop. And also money to maintain the servers and the ports. See the videolan.org contributing section for more information.
Apart from donations, videolan started a kick starter project to fund the development of vlc on windows 8
If you have more questions, ask me to,my personal email, because the mail list is only for patches.
Best regards.

Konrad Iturbe
http://chernowii.com

For an assignment for my computing course to research on an open source project, and communicate with a developer who currently maintains the project and to research the software and its development as open source software.
As VLC has been my go to software for watching anmie for the past years so would make it a good candidate for my research in open source software.

How did you become involved in the development of VLC?

Why was VLC developed as an open source project?
How has open source benefited the development of VLC?

What problems have persisted with VLC development?
Apart from donations from the public how is the development of  VLC funded?

Thanks for your time, Yours sinisterly Alex Bennett of the university of Bolton UK