[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Revert "Add subdir-objects automake option where appropriate"

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Sep 17 09:23:26 CEST 2013

http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc/vlc-2.1.git/?a=commit;h=8138925733a4e66b78cf0eca046c3861c69a93c8

> Why was this patch not sent for review in the first place?

"Complete support for subdirectory objects would be too invasive."

> Same question for all the following patches meant to fix automake 1.4
> support

None of the following patches were written or pushed by myself.

> especially considering the breakage caused.

Unlike *you*, I actually run distcheck on a *target* platform to validate
the subdir patch. It went exactly as far as it did before the subdir patch,
due to preexisting bugs. So I also ran a manual install check and a Windows
build, which both passed.

The breakage was too subtle to be detected by me and while Diego might
have spotted it, I am convinced that no VLC reviewer would have.
Besides the breakage was very minor; distclean is not exactly a major
development blocker (Debian does use it, but for the very wrong reason of
building VLC statically).

Sent from my collocated server