[vlc-devel] 2.1.0 sonames

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Sep 19 19:52:10 CEST 2013

On 19 Sep, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Le jeudi 19 septembre 2013 12:57:51 Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
> > As far as I can tell, on my machine, I have
> >
> > VLC 2.0.8:
> > - libvlc.so.5.3.2
> > - libvlccore.so.5.1.1
> >
> > VLC 2.1.0-rc2:
> > - libvlc.so.5.3.0
> > - libvlccore.so.5.0.0
> >
> > Shouldn't it be:
> > - libvlc.so.5.4.0
> > - libvlccore.so.6.0.0 ?
>
> libtool version info does not map directly to the Linux SOVERSION.

I was afraid of that, because I remembered something like that.

> From VLC 2.0.6...
> - libvlc 8:2:3
> - libvlccore 6:1:1
>
> VLC 2.1.0 should get:
> - libvlc 9:0:4 (compatible extensions)
> - libvlccore 7:0:0 (incompatible changes)

Which makes total sense (not) for the profane like me :)

> For details, see libtool info pages.

I promise, I will have a look before the next major :)

But thanks a lot for taking care about it.
I knew something was weird, but not the right fix.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734