[vlc-devel] Using LibVLC to attach media_player to existing interface

Kevin Boos kevinaboos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:02:22 CEST 2014

Hi Rémi,

Thanks for the response, sorry for using the wrong terminology.

Is there any way to programmatically connect to an existing interface (like a running instance of VLC) using LibVLC? Basically, I’m trying to access the current video playback time and subtitle information so I can stream the subtitles to another machine. I figured it would be easiest to attach to an existing VLC interface instead of completely reimplementing a new interface from scratch.  I was drawn to using LibVLC because of the various media_player callbacks that are supported.

Any tips?

Best,
Kevin