[vlc-devel] FYI: A couple of VP9 .webm files that VLC doesn't currently play

Oche Ejembi ooe at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 22:18:46 CEST 2014

I have the same problem when I try to play VP9. I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 with
VLC 2.2.git pulled and built today (18/04/2014). It appears to playback,
and probably VLC probably does think it is playing back (as there are no
error messages at all), but it's only garbled artefacts and rubbish.

On 15 March 2014 07:11, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> The first file - 3DMark03-600k.vp9.webm - contains a VP9 video track only.
>  It doesn't play at all in VLC (either 2.1.4, or the latest "git" version).
>

> Doesn't play at all with mplayer or ffplay.
> Sounds broken.
>

> Yes, quite possibly.
>

> The second file - patent-absurdity_288p30.y4m_vp9-256kbps_opus-32kbps.webm
> - contains a VP9 video track, and an Opus audio track.  VLC (both 2.1.4,
> and the latest "git") is almost able to play the video track (video show
> up, but is mostly artifacts/garbage).  The Opus audio track doesn't play at
> all in 2.1.4, but does play OK in the latest "git" version.
>

> git version play it flawlessly.
>

> Not for me on Mac OS X.  The latest git version ("Version 2.2.0-git
> Weatherwax (Intel 64bit)") built/run on Mac OS X doesn't play it (without
> mostly artifacts/garbage).  So, the problem might be platform-specific?
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Best Regards,