[vlc-devel] Deadlock on stop

Romain Vimont | ®om rom at rom1v.com
Fri Apr 25 15:13:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

I use libvlc in an Android application, and I experience a deadlock:
libvlc.stop() does never return in some cases.

I investigated a little, and found what is blocking when calling
libvlc_media_player_stop(…). Here is the stack of calls:
 - release_input_thread( p_mi, true );
   - input_Close( p_input_thread );
     - input_Join( p_input );
       - vlc_join( p_input->p->thread, NULL );
         - vlc_sem_wait (&handle->finished);  // block forever

This does not always happen, but only when I am already playing a video,
and try to play and stop nearly simultaneously (I stop playing by
pressing a key and start from a remote control at the same time), so it
seems there is a race condition.

Also, I reproduce it about ~25% using a UDP multicast stream
(udp://@239.0.0.1:1234/), but I can't reproduce if I use an HTTP stream,
the very same UDP stream proxyfied by udpxy
(http://<udpxy>/udp/239.0.0.1:1234):
http://www.udpxy.com/index-en.html

I guess there should be a call to vlc_sem_post() somewhere to wake it
up… Maybe you have an idea?

Regards,

PS: my VLC versions:
git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git (3b7bfa1)
git://git.videolan.org/vlc-ports/android.git (995ac44)