[vlc-devel] DVD ISO Playback - Works on Windows, Corrupted Output on Linux

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Aug 9 10:13:42 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a really weird problem that I am trying to get to the bottom of.
Due to physical shelf-space shortages I archive my DVDs to ISOs to my
NAS. My method of extraction is:

1) Get the DVD keys extracted and the DVD drive made to cooperate:

mplayer -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://

2) Extract the ISO data using a dd-like tool that handles unreadable
sectors more efficiently:

safecopy -b 2048 -f 1024* -R 0 -Z 0 -L 2 /dev/dvd "My New Movie.iso"

This generally works fine for most DVDs, but for some of them, possibly
the ones using a particular kind of copy protection mechanism there is a
discrepancy in how they are handled by the Windows version of VLC
compared to the Linux version of VLC (I made sure both are the same
version, I updated both to the latest, 2.1.5).

The Windows version plays the ISOs absolutely fine without any problems.
The Linux version will randomly produce either corrupted video and audio
output (massive artifacting in both), or skip scenes or parts of scenes.

mplayer usually doesn't suffer from the same A/V output corruption, but
does still suffer from skipping scenes or parts of scenes.

Since the Windows version works fine, I am hazarding a guess that this
may be related to the specific library versions that the Windows port of
VLC brings with it, whereas with the Linux version they come in separate
packages and are dynamically linked.

Is there a list of the exact libraries and versions that Windows VLC
2.1.5 ships with so that I can attempt to match them in the Linux
installation? Then I could try narrowing down the search for the
specific library that is misbehaving.

Any thoughts and insights on this would be welcome.

Gordan