[vlc-devel] Unsafe option: ts-extra-pmt

Mathias Hofmann post at mathias-hofmann.de
Thu Aug 14 12:05:20 CEST 2014

Dear VLC developers,

I hope using this mailing list is the right way of addressing this issue:

My Media Library contains a few stream entries that need extra information via the "ts-extra-pmt" option. (This option works well using the command line.) The "ts-extra-pmt" option however is apparently deemed to be "unsafe". Is there any way of changing this behavior?

From what I researched, in ts.c, a new line could be added beneath:
add_string( "ts-extra-pmt", NULL, PMT_TEXT, PMT_LONGTEXT, true )

saying:
change_safe()

I have tried this, VLC builds correctly and apparently respects this setting: It now starts to play the stream, but then stops immediately: only the first frame is displayed. Probably something else will be wrong that I don't understand. I am not a programmer, so I guess I should leave this to someone who understands what they are doing.

How do I go about suggesting this change to be properly applied to the code of a next version of VLC?

Kind regards,
Mathias