[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vdpau/avcodec: fix build for older ffmpeg

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 10 16:08:52 CET 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:01:27 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On 10 Feb, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> No offense intended, but neither j-b nor you, nor anybody has yet fully
>> worked around the versioning FFmpeg clusterfuck. It is still broken
(and

> No offense taken. I do my best, but the task is daunting.
>
>> mostly unfixable) in the configure script, in addition to the VDPAU
>> plugin.
>
> An ugly workaround would be to disable VDPAU if micro > 100, aka FFMpeg
> case.

IIRC, VDPAU is not the only place that checks for pkg-config version
numbers.

This bug needs FFmpeg people to face the reality that they have set their
project as a downstream of the unspeakable libav. Thus they must not
override upstream version numbers, but instead add their own separate ones.
Everybody else works that way, and pkg-config is designed with that
assumption.

Sent from my collocated server