[vlc-devel] Add New Language

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Sun Jan 5 18:08:50 CET 2014

Hello!

On 30 Dec 2013, at 14:11, Yassine AÏT-EL-MOUDEN <mouhssine754 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Berber or the Berber languages (Berber: Tamaziɣt or Tamazight, ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ)
>
> are a family of similar or closely related languages and dialects
> indigenous to North Africa. Berber is spoken by large populations (+50 millions)
>
> of Morocco and Algeria, and by smaller populations in Libya,
>
> Tunisia, eastern Mali, western and northern Niger, northern
> Burkina Faso, Mauritania, and the Egyptian Siwa Oasis. Large
> Berber-speaking migrant communities have lived in Western Europe since
>
> the 1950s. In 2001, Berber became a national language of Algeria in the
>
> constitution, and in 2011, Berber became an official language of
> Morocco, in the new Moroccan constitution.
>  So this it's a very important question to add Berber and it's alphabet
>
> (Tifinagh) in VLC.

Now, what do you suggest?
I will support any attempt to add this language to vlc, but besides some possible technical issues we need somebody for the actual translation.

There is a team for "Central Atlas Tamazight" translation already. Please check:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vlc-trans/language/tzm/

The recommended way is: create a transifex account and request to join the team.

Here are some additional hints:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/transifex-howto.html

Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Best regards

Christoph