[vlc-devel] VLC 2.2.0 Weatherwax feature freeze

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Sat Jan 11 17:57:06 CET 2014

Hey Rob,

On 11.01.2014, at 13:27, Rob Jonson <rob at hobbyistsoftware.com> wrote:

> On 30 December 2013 15:51, Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne at videolan.org> wrote:
> > Import videos from camera roll on iOS.
>
> No, this is not going to happen until we have hardware accelerated playback working. Otherwise, owners of non-A6 or A7 devices will not be able to play videos shot with their own device, which would trigger a huge number of support requests.
>
> Any reason not to simply disable the feature on non-A6 or A7 devices?

Yep, this would lead to a lot of end-user questions asking (rightfully IMO) why this fails on their iPad 2, iPad mini or iPhone < 5, while works on their friend's device. … and also why this works on the same device using competing apps but isn't available within VLC.

Additionally, to be honest, I fail to see _why_ you'd want to play such videos with VLC while you could also do so in a more easy to access way with the default apps.

Best regards,

Felix