[vlc-devel] Small patch to "modules/demux/ts.c" to support playing Transport Stream files that contain H.265 (aka. HEVC) video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 13 09:44:42 CET 2014

On Jan 12, 2014, at 11:52 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:

> On 01/12/14 12:43, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> Note that 0x24 is the elementary stream_type for H.265; see:
>> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program-specific_information#Elementary_stream_types
>
> I doubt we can rely on Wikipedia here, [citation needed].

I agree (in principle).  Doing a Google search for "hevc 13818" reveals that there is a document out there somewhere named
	"ISO/IEC 13818-1:2013/FDAmd 3. Transport of High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) video over MPEG-2 systems."
I presume that is where the official definition will be.  However, I was unable to find a copy of this document.  You folks may have better luck.

In any case, because VLC didn't assume any stream_type definition for H.265 beforehand, there's probably no harm in assuming 0x24 for now.  Should you find out later that that definition was wrong, you can change it later.

	Ross.