[vlc-devel] (no subject)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Jan 15 21:39:56 CET 2014

On 15 Jan, Wieland Hoffmann wrote :
> Hallo Jean-Baptiste Kempf:
> > On 15 Jan, Wieland Hoffmann wrote :
> > > What the 00_musicbrainz.lua script does is: it gets the MusicBrainz
> > > Album ID (which is the ID for an album or, as it's called in MB, a
> > > release [0]). To query the web service for output that indicates whether
> > > or not the Cover Art Archive (CAA) has artwork for the release, it's
> > > necessary to know the Album ID [3]. Finding that ID can happen through either
> >
> > Could it do it with just the TrackID?
>
> if by TrackID you mean the VLC thing that is called a recording ID in MB
> then in theory, yes,

By TrackID I mean the thing called TrackID in VLC. Noone never knew what
it was, to be honest.

:D

We never set it, except using the UFID in taglib module, and that is a
very old commit.

> Sure, but it's important to prioritise: imho, the album id should be
> used first because it's the least ambiguous.

If it is in the file.

> But is it bad that MusicBrainz related tags are now somewhat superior to
> other tags or is it something we can live with? (By "metadata dialog" I

It's not good to have them superior.

> > Hmm, we would still need the mapping.
>
> It's important where you do the mapping - do we map the various
> musicbrainz tags to a single name (read: "TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Id"
> from ID3, "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID" from vorbis comments/ape tags,
> "MusicBrainz/Album Id from WMA" into one "MusicBrainz Album Id" tag) in
> the readMetaFrom* methods *once* or does every other component that
> wants to use the Album ID (the cover art fetcher and the thing that
> links to additional information on MB) need to do the mapping.

No, the reader reads the mapping and stores it in the right meta field
of VLC. If it is an extradata, it is standardized.

> it's the ID of an artist, release, recording or something else,. The
> TrackID you're referring to is in fact an MBID, namely a recording MBID

I'm not sure where you got this info, but OK.

> For the purpose of displaying cover art, the release MBID is the most
> useful piece of information because the cover is a property of the
> release.

OK.

Patches welcome, then? :D

--