[vlc-devel] VLC configuration - enabling quicksync

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 05:49:08 CET 2014

Folks,

While moving my custom build from VLC 2.0.4 to 2.1.2, I noticed a new configure option called enable-quicksync. It appears this is to support Intel quicksync technology that boosts H.264 decoding. On Ubuntu, it appears there is no libmfx in the standard repository. I may have to download it separately from Intel's website and build it. However, before I do that, I am just wondering if it is worth enabling this support. Is there a reasonable performance difference compared to the standard libx264 support? Also, if I enable quicksync, do I disable libx264 support (disable-x264)?

My custom player is primarily used to play H.264 media files.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter