[vlc-devel] VLCKit: half-baked ARC conversion

Florent Pillet fpillet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:14:51 CEST 2014

ARC is not mandatory, an application can freely mix ARC and non-ARC code (this is what apps using VLCKit do now as VLCKit itself is still not fully ARC compliant).

There are a few issues to sort out for ARC conversion, though. It mainly boils down to:

1. Formally completing the code transition from non-ARC to ARC
2. Raising the minimal OS required for VLCKit to run

The latter point will require raising the minimum OS X version from 10.6 to 10.7 (because of the use of weak references) and iOS from 4.x to 5.x (for the same reason).

I don't have the insight on VLCKit overall usage to make that kind of decision -- but at least if an ARC transition is started in the code as it is now, it should either be completed or rolled back.

Florent