[vlc-devel] VLCKit: half-baked ARC conversion

Florent Pillet fpillet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:49:21 CEST 2014

On 07 Jul 2014, at 13:52, Gleb Pinigin <gpinigin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Florent
>
> Most patches looks ok, but ARC don't mean that any ivar should be converted to property, ain't it?

That is correct, although I usually tend to take advantage of the runtime's automatic ivar instantiation. There are a couple reasons behind this:

- reduce LOC count
- clarify things (only one place where a property appears)
- when accessing the generated ivar with its _ prefix, I think it make it clear that the intent is to access the ivar directly, bypassing access through self and the KVO notification mechanism.

All things considered, my point of view on this is that it makes the intents and code more explicit.

Florent