[vlc-devel] No picture with MPEG files

Carl Hetherington lists at carlh.net
Tue Jul 29 23:40:30 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I find that with VLC git head (and with the release versions), this file:

http://dcpomatic.com/sintel_trailer.mpg

plays audio but no video.  I've done some ill-educated poking around in
the source and it seems that every video frame is being discarded by this
check around l.1400 of src/input/decoder.c:

         if( p_owner->i_preroll_end > VLC_TS_INVALID && p_pic->date < p_owner->i_preroll_end )
         {
             vout_ReleasePicture( p_vout, p_pic );
             continue;
         }

p_owner->i_preroll_end is always INT64_MAX.  I find that commenting-out
this check makes the video reappear.

I have yet to work out why p_owner->i_preroll_end is always INT64_MAX.
Can anybody help me?

For reference, mplayer plays this file fine.  My code created the file,
however, so it is quite possible that something is wrong with it.

Thanks,
Carl