[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] contrib: qt 5.3.0

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Jun 10 17:03:40 CEST 2014

On 10 Jun, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> On 06/10/14 10:53, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > On 10 Jun, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> >> vlc | branch: master | Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> | Tue Jun 10 10:32:49 2014 -0400| [50c3fae8cf2de1de28632a7767f6cf6b44b762d1] | committer: Rafaël Carré
> >>
> >> contrib: qt 5.3.0
> >
> > This enables SSE2 on Windows by default.
> >
> > If we disable it, as there is no autodetection anymore (why?), it will
> > be slower than Qt5.2.1 on all processors.
>
> Let's see if we can roll-back a handful patches, did anyone look at
> qt.git history?

I tried, and it's a bit too much work.

> > If we enable it, it will break in older processors, including Athlon XP
> > and some Pentium-M.
>
> I think all Pentium-M support SSE2.

Possible. But we had complaints for Athlon
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/10108

> > Seeing that people complained when 2.1.0 broke those processors, and the
> > bugreports we had, I think it is a bad idea to do this now.
>
> Are we gonna use Qt5 without support for video embedded in the GUI anyway?

Qt5 works fine on the latest NB on Windows.

> > I suggest we postpone this change for 3.0.0, once we have a good way for
> > updates.
>
> Please develop what you mean by "a good way for updates"

A way to discriminate depending on the CPU, so we don't update people to
a version that does not run on their machine.

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734