[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 3 17:58:32 CET 2014

Le lundi 3 mars 2014, 17:13:43 XilasZ a écrit :

> > > Then why does windows buildbots are now broken ?
> >
> > Then why did is my buildbot now fixed?
> >
> > Obivously because the buildbots are misconfigured. From your next
> > question, I gather you guessed that. And thus I assume you are trolling.
>
> I'm not trolling, or not on purpose. It's just annoying to see a build
> failure after pulling the repo.
> I don't know much about buildbots either.

I think we went through this already. This is self-inflicted pain from you (as
the collective of the Android VLC developers). You ostensibly depend on
"private" internals of the VLC build system and the VLC code base, and on bugs
or work-around for bugs. Therefore, you will experience subject yourselves to
build break whenever those internals changes.

I am not saying that you should (or should not) depend on VLC internals. It is
up to you, collectively, to determine what is more efficient for your workflow.
But so long as you depend on internals, bugs or kludges in VLC, you must
accept that breaks will occur and so without warnings. It could be build
breaks, it could be run-time breaks or whatever can break. Attacking whomever
upstream "broke" your build is just wrong, and annoying.

To avoid this, the only option I have to offer consists of pinning the VLC
build you build upon to a known compatible commit hash. This is no news; VLC
itself does that for libav/FFmpeg. In fact, I believe all VLC contribs are
pinned to a known release or commit hash.

Now considering that you were already told this before, and sticking to your
previous ways looks like trolling to me.

> For local build failure, path must be updated somewhere else and don't rely
> anymore on configure ?

Again, if you want to use the native pkg-config to make a non-native build, you
ought to configure the pkg-config environment variables before you invoke the
VLC build system. Presumably you already do that for a number of other build
tools already; without settings you get the native tools and native libraries.

Why do you think I bother writing commit logs?

http://www.remlab.net/