[vlc-devel] QTKit

Ollie ollie at rimms.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 09:17:26 CET 2014

Hi all!

Ok I'm a little out of my depth... But I'm desperately hoping that
someone here can help by knowing about some vlc code that I simply do
not!
The basic concept of what we are trying to achieve is as follows: 2(or
more, up to 6) "clients" on iPads.
Clients need to be able to receive a stream of LIVE mono audio presented
to the the local server.
However, client also needs to be able to select the source audio of that
stream from one of the channels of the audio interface attached to the
server.
Either this can be achieved by client selecting one of several "streams"
and switching between streams, or by locking to a single stream and
controlling the input to that stream server-side.
For robustness it seems best to go with the latter solution; single
stream per client, switching audio input to streams.
But, the qtkit which would allow this seems not to include the
functionality to point a stream's source at a specific channel of an
audio interface. Although I'm told this exists in other VLC modules.

Any suggestions or help would be so gratefully received. Although I'm
not the programmer (and therefore a bit useless with technical
replies...) The guy who IS programming is across this too and will
understand what I do not.
The reason for using VLC and not http streaming is latency; the HLS
latency on iOS is too big for this application. In an ideal world I'd go
for Jack Audio... But it's terminally broken on iOS 7... Doh!!!

As I said, any help so gratefully received.
Thanks for your time.

Ollie